Thursday 6 June 2019

THEATRE REVIEW: Dressed - HOME, Manchester.


This evening I went to watch the beautiful and courageous show that was 'Dressed'. Lydia Higginson allows the world to look at a snippet of her life that one could only describe as being harrowing. Based upon a true encounter 'Dressed' is a piece of theatre that bares its soul to each member of the audience.

As I entered the theatre I watched as Lydia Higginson, Nobahar Mahdavi, Josie Dale-Jones & Olivia Norris interact, play and chase each other. Each female reminded me of the beautiful dolls I would play with as a child, however I found these dolls were much better than mine, and these dolls radiated independence, body positivity and a slight quirkiness about themselves. I felt empowered as soon as I sat down, watching these women do their own thing on stage. As I gazed upon the set I felt as though I was a small figurine lost in a sewing box, the quirky lighting and shards of clothing giving the imprint they were small scraps in a lost seamstress’s case, suitably fitting considering Higginson’s artistic past.

As the play began my senses were awakened, through the use of beautifully choreographed movement pieces I was visually hooked as I settled in to a calming atmosphere, clearly a juxtaposition to the battles that Higginson’s had to face. The solidarity of friendship shone through giving a beautiful and personalised touch that left my heart feeling warm and genuine. Vocally, Nobahar Mahdavi left my inner Vera Lynn proud and wanting more, her beautiful singing voice capturing another one of my senses and wrapping it in cotton wool. I interpreted her character as the innocence and naivety that maybe once was Higginson, Norris on the other hand I believe beautifully played the nightmare to Higginson’s ordeal, her static but structured movement pieces gave a needed thrill to the performance adding layer upon layer of creativity. Dale-Jones I believe completed this threesome of virtue and disparity, her performance of the best friend who wants to take the pain away but doesn’t know how to, was perfectly utilised through the art of clowning.

Often as social media users we are desensitised to the horrors that are being held at gun point and stripped. What I find most endearing is the courage Higginson had to create a show that echoes such trauma. Her creativity knows no bounds with each individual piece being sewn together to create such a remarkable performance. Some may say 'Dressed' is part of the #MeToo movement, some may say it’s a feminists' reality, what I found was a raw creation that I could watch over and over again. A whirlwind of femininity that I never knew I needed until now, I could never give this show the justice it deserves so you would have to watch it for yourself.

Reviewer - Caroline Bleakley
on - 4/6/19

No comments:

Post a Comment