Thursday 9 December 2021

INTERVIEW: It's Daniel Lloyd's 15th panto at Theatr Clwyd, Mold. He talks here all things theatre and panto.


As Theatr Clwyd’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Panto continues its run, we shine a light on a familiar face and North Wales local Daniel Lloyd. This will be Daniel’s 15th Rock ‘n’ Roll Panto along with being part of other projects at the venue. He’s an actor, musician, director and panto favourite. We sat down to find out more:

You are back again for the Rock nRoll Panto!! What is it about Theatr Clwyd that keeps you coming back?

It is my second home. Like our young audiences, this is where I first saw the shows that lit my imagination and where I fell in love with theatre and actor-musicianship. As a student it was always my ambition to be in shows here and that dream came true many times over. I feel blessed to have worked here so much over the years in various different productions. As a director Theatr Clwyd is supporting me develop new work of my own and it is a great place to be associated with. Working here is a no brainer! Oh - and I live twenty minutes away, too!

This year you play Willy, Belles Dad. Without giving too much away do you have a favourite part in the show?

I love the knock-about comedy antics with Phyl. There’s never a dull moment when I am by his side but I also get to play one of my favourite guitar solos at ear splitting volume down stage centre where I can live out my rock star fantasies!

You have played many different parts in panto, including the Dame. If you weren’t playing Willy this year, which part would you like to play?

Yes I’ve played them all! I must say the Dame last year was pretty daunting, but I really fell in love with that role. Never been a baddie and don’t fancy it much. I think I’m a goodie in the eyes of our audience.

I would love to direct it one day!

How is 2022 looking for you? Where might we see you next?

Thankfully, 2022 is looking busy. My creative partner and I have just been awarded two Arts Council Wales grants to develop new musicals which is so exciting. One is Miss Wales which charts the life of Rose Marie Frankland who came from my village of Rhosllannerchrugog. She was the first British woman to win Miss World back in 1961. She had a fascinating life and developing that idea into a musical has and will continue to be a real highlight. The initial idea was developed with Theatr Clwyd’s Tyfu/Grow residency which we were also awarded with earlier this year. Watch this space!

The show is in English however there are lots of Welsh references and sections in Welsh. As a Welsh speaker how important is it to you that there are Welsh language is represented?

I have always been passionate about the Welsh language and am so pleased that we can sneak some into the panto. Nice to see that the theatre has their Welsh trilogy over the Christmas period, too. The language is thriving, and it is key to our identity culturally and socially. I think the work that actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny are doing around this is to be commended, too. It generates a couple of hilarious moments in this year’s panto.

Last year you were involved in the online panto The Panto That Nearly Never Was, whats it like being back on stage again?

It’s great. To have full houses back cheering, booing and on their feet dancing has been a real tonic after a such a difficult period. It’s buzzing here again, and we can all feel the love. I will never take it for granted again and I’m looking forward to the shows ahead and the fun we can have with our audiences. The school matinees have been great fun, too. Amazing to think that we are inspiring young audiences again - they are singing along and screaming at any given opportunity! The energy is epic.

Beauty and The Beast will be performed at Theatr Clwyd until 15 January 2022. Tickets are from £15. Booking available at Theatr Clwyd’s website www.theatrclwyd.com or by calling 01352 344101.

The Troll Who Stole Christmas, Llew and The Cobbler and The Ice Witch (which make up the Welsh Trilogy) will be at Theatr Clwyd between the 21 – 28 December. Tickets are £8 for each show. Booking is available at Theatr Clwyd’s website www.theatrclwyd.com or by calling 01352 344101.

INTERVIEW: Syndicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment