Monday 11 October 2021

BOOK REVIEW: Rage Is A Cage Without A Key


TITLE: Rage Is A Cage Without A Key
AUTHOR: Julie Evans
PUBLISHED BY: Independent Publisher

Set in a beautiful Cornwall, this is Book 1 in the author’s Cornish Crime series. The individual titles are stand-alone stories; as such they do not need to be read sequentially.

Two women who share a past are featured in the story; Claire, a lawyer with no respect for the law and Issy a doctor, with no respect for human life; both trapped by inexplicable rage.

Their paths cross and history catches up with them; they are similar in that for their own reasons, both have built barriers around themselves. One is coming to terms with being told the deadly cancer she thought she had beaten has returned and the other is an unhinged self-absorbed egotist who has been routinely terminating the lives of patients she judges to be unworthy of treatment.

Unknown to Claire, who deep down is a good person, Issy has harboured a grudge against her and when they unexpectedly meet, Issy seizes the opportunity to satisfy her twisted desire to first befriend Claire and then destroy her.

This gripping story focuses on strong, spirited and intriguing female characters who are impulsive and unpredictable. Coupled with high quality storytelling skills and the incredible Cornish setting the multi-dimensional characters make this an absorbing read, I was enthralled from page 1.

I particularly liked the Cornish location, a place I love to visit whenever I can. Additionally, the small sized chapters are something I like when reading a book; it makes it easy for readers to put down and pick up again without having to flick back to remember where they are up to in the story.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story; it kept me guessing right to the end; it had me scared to death one minute and made me laugh out loud the next. The narrative is vibrant and compelling; it definitely held my attention and at times I didn’t want to put it down, a true feature of a good story.

It is a believable crime story which held my attention til the end; I’m looking forward to the next book in the series, A Sisterhood of Silence.

Reviewer - Anne Pritchard


No comments:

Post a Comment