Thursday 7 October 2021

THEATRE REVIEW: Rock Of Ages - The Opera House, Manchester.


Manchester Opera house hosts the 1980's jukebox musical that is 'Rock Of Ages'! Big, Bold, Bright and all things Rock & Roll, this musical came to deliver and deliver it did! Joe Gash plays the incredibly iconic ‘Lonny’ and within the first 10 seconds I wanted Joe Gash to narrate my life! Imagine David Attenborough (the icon of my life) with tattoos, eyeliner and an incredible vocal range crossed with a flirty but fiery stage presence – truly incredible.

As I was waiting eagerly, not knowing anything about 'Rock Of Ages' I was doubtful that I would enjoy this cheesy rock fest. Knowing a handful of classics and nothing about the plot, I doubted whether I would be the best person to watch this show; however, I believe the nearly two-hour hit gave me plenty to think and talk about. Set in the 1980s, 'Rock of Ages' focuses on the battle between two German property developers and a group of rockers trying to save a bar along the sunset strip. Intertwined with this is a classic ‘fruity’ love story and a coming-of-age eco-warrior battle that wants to stick it to the man. This '80’s dream-fest, brings us quirky characters such as Regina, an eco-warrior, Stacee Jaxx, the Narcissistic misogynist of the stars, and Dennis Dupree the uncle of our hearts!

Drew (Luke Walsh), and Sherrie (Rhiannon Chesterman), play the beautiful star-crossed lovers destined never to succeed unless they open their eyes and admit their feelings. At first I was worried this relationship would have no chemistry and no depth however after the first number I was invested. So much that when Kevin Clifton’s character, Stacee Jaxx, came along I was raging at Sherries decision although equally disappointed in Drew’s reluctances to admit how he feels. Luke Walsh plays a beautifully naive Drew, all the while belting ‘til his heart’s content so effortlessly. His interpretation of the character had me devoted to the character's journey - chasing his rock and roll dreams. I thought Chesterman collaborated with Walsh perfectly matching his naïve dream with great presence on stage. Her mannerisms and body language gave me southern American farm girl whilst her vocals gave me strong, courageous woman. Together they mixed together cheese, spice and a little bit of innocence into this rock and roll duo – it was refreshing to see.

Alongside Walsh and Chesterman, Ross Dawes played a wonderful and comedic Dennis Dupree, his comic timing was precise and I very much enjoyed the fact he did not overplay his character. Vas Constanti and Andrew Carthy bring us the classic German bad-guys ploy, whose story achieves a 360 throughout the entirety of the play, both character beautifully juxtapose themselves. Jenny Fitzpatrick gave me leading lady and supportive stage momma all in one! Her vocals were to die for and her compassion and kindness as the character of Justice shone through her – she was just the right amount of bold, beautiful and brilliant we needed. Finally, Gabriella Williams plays the wonderful Regina – non-shaving, eco-saving queen from the 1980s... her boldness on stage is remarkable and her vocals superb!

'Rock Of Ages' gives us instantly recognisable songs such as "I Want To Know What Love Is” “Don’t Stop Believing” and “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” intertwined with a passionate rollercoaster of a love story!  It was truly the best of cheesy, classic and rock all rolled into one with an extra sprinkle of crazy along the way.

Highly recommended e- ven just tolisten to the incredible live band! Don’t miss out.

Reviewer - Caroline Bleakley
on - 6.10.21


No comments:

Post a Comment