Monday 8 June 2020

THEATRE REVIEW: Miss Saigon - The CCP, Manila, The Philippines.


A very poor quality video, grainy, far too dark in many scenes with no definition and some sound issues, This was such a shame, but, since I know the show so well, I was able to put this discomfort aside and enjoy the performance of the originator of the role of Kim, Lea Salonga, on stage one more time.

I have seen her perform the role live on stage twice, and never expected to be able to experience this again, and so, seeing that she was starring in this 2000 production at The Cultural Centre Of The Philippines Theatre in Manila, I simply had to give it a watch. And even at 29 years old and some 11 years since her debut, she proved that she really has no equal in this role.

For those who don't know the story, then it is based very much so on Puccini's opera, Madama Butterfly, and tells the doomed love story of an American GI in Vietnam during the 1970's conflict who falls in love with a 17 year old dancer. When he returns to the States he leaves his life, but not his memories or his heart, behind, and yet marries long-time girlfriend Ellen. When the fates take him back to Vietnam and they meet again, things have changed for the worse, and he is confronted with his 4-year-old son, Tam, and tragedy. The musical is highly emotive and if you are able to watch it without at least one tear in your eye, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself!

From what I could remember from the original West End show, then the staging here was somewhat similar as was the direction. Just a few changes made to accommodate a touring show, and perhaps also bearing in mind the venue and country they were performing in.

Leo Tavarro Valdez played The Engineer. He certainly was no patch on Jonathan Pryce sadly, but neither was he the worst Engineer I have ever seen in this role. At least he understood that the role was not farcical or like Joker in Batman (and yes, I have seen these interpretations played out on stage!). Will Chase made for the classic male romantic lead, Chris. Good vocals and nice stage presence. Ronn K Smith was a very enigmatic and believable John. Smith was one of the few who managed to bring something new and of their own to the role, and this worked for him. Lisa Capps was a convincing and sympathetic Ellen, and she had a beautifully sonorous soprano voice. Robert Sena made for the epitome of evil as Thuy, and Isay Alvarez proved her worth as Gigi at the beginning.

I was pleased that I was able to watch this production, but sadly, if anyone is wanting to watch it who has not yet seen the show elsewhere, I would seriously recommend you pass this one by due to the very poor video quality, it will put you off.

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 7/6/20


2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, and that of Cameron Mackintosh, the show's producer, Leo Tavarro Valdez is the best Engineer of all time. He has performed the role more than anyone else, and does it funnier than anyone else, and that is, by far, the most important thing to get right. If they ever turn Miss Saigon into a movie, I don't want to see anyone else but Leo Tavarro Valdez as the Engineer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the video of the Christmas Eve performance of "Miss Saigon" from Manilla, Philippines, and I thought it was the best performance of this musical that I have ever seen. I didn't see anything wrong with the quality of the video or the sound. I especially enjoyed the Christmas carol that they sang after the curtain call. They should do that every Christmas. I loved it and I thank them for it.

    ReplyDelete