Thursday 16 September 2021

THEATRE REVIEW: The Same Rain That Falls On Me - The Peer Hat, Manchester.


The Peer Hat is a new venue for me... or at least under that name. I have the strange feeling that it might at one time have been called The Houldsworth, and in which case, I have been there before, however, back to the play...

'The Same Rain That Falls On Me' is an original monologue from Autumn Theatre written by Logan Jones deftly directed by Jay Seldon. 

Sadly, without a programme, I do not know that name of the actress performing this one woman piece, but her character's name was Alice. Alice is at university, reading Geography, when she receives news that her father is dying of cancer and she journeys home to be with him in his final hours. In the 35 minute running time of this play, the writing cleverly juxtaposes humour with real sadness, and creates a believable and realistic family unit each coping with their grief their own way. Alice manages to command the stage in a very easy and humble style, and we are completely drawn in to and engulfed by her story. It is a powerful portrayal in its simplicity and honesty. 

I thought, before I went, that perhaps I would be too emotionally connected to her story [I lost my own father only earlier this year]; however, the use of humour and her story-telling technique (brought out superbly by Seldon), made this a piece of thoughtfully entertaining theatre and not a therapy session!

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 15.9.21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment