Monday 14 March 2022

MUSIC REVIEW and INTERVIEW: James Grant and The Hallelujah String Quartet - Union Chapel, London.


There are a few singer/ songwriter's that have that unique creative ability to really get right under my skin, and Scotland's very own James Grant, founding member of mid to late '80s Scottish band 'Love And Money' is certainly one of them. His recent concert at Union Chapel in London was much anticipated and as someone who has never seen Grant perform live, was an event I was very much looking forward to. The award-winning venue itself is stunning, a beautiful historic working church, and runs The Margins Project, based at Union Chapel, which offers a range of services to support people facing homelessness, risk of homelessness and crisis in Islington. The staff were friendly, helpful and Grant's acoustic playing and vocals alongside the exquisite Hallelujah String Quartet had the seated audience in the palm of their hands throughout. There is much debate right now about the use of phones at concerts and gigs, with some events requesting that phones are even handed in. Hands up, I have used my phone at gigs and taken a few pics and maybe even a little video, though I've thought long and hard about this recently with the thinking, am I truly in the moment? Does it affect the ambience somewhat? Many artistes themselves are politely asking for no photographs. Well, I can say watching Grant perform new compositions, amazing covers and of course some 'Love And Money' classics alongside the soothing and atmospheric String Quartet, which included the most amazing violin solos, was completely mesmerising and not once did I even consider getting my phone out. I just wanted to stay present and fully experience what was in front of me. I am glad others were braver than I and I've seen some stunning photos from the night, the gorgeous stained glass of the church windows and the colourful lighting make for otherworldly photos and maybe I do pinch myself a little bit that I didn't take just one, as a little memento of such a wonderful evening. Perhaps it is indeed just a respectful balance. I didn't even get my notebook out and take notes, such was my dedication to being fully connected. 

Grant, in my opinion has so much stage presence; his calm, soft manner, with a wonderful warm sense of humour had the audience's full concentration throughout all of his numbers. His stylish attire and infamous hairstyle oozing great individuality and finesse. His use of varying genres such as soul, folk, pop and blues with soft layers of melodic dark and lush tones all hitting the spot perfectly. His voice only seems to be maturing and definitely is a voice to stir the senses and that has been compared to the likes of Leonard Cohen and even one of my favourites, Tom Waits. There were moments of real intensity during his performance and so many beautiful songs with the following running order:

I Can't Stop Bleeding
Little Gun
My Love Lives in A Dead House
Cassiopeia Coming Through
Whiskey Dream
Walk The Last Mile
Jacqueline's Shoes
My Father's Coat
What Do We See When We Look At The Stars
Sometimes I Want To Give Up
Strange Kind Of Love
Jocelyn Square
Last Ship On The River
Does It All Add Up To Nothing
Lips Like Ether 
You're Not The Only One
Halleluiah Man
Nature Boy 

My personal highlights were 'My Father's Coat', such a moving song that stirred my senses probably a bit too much and realised I should have probably packed a hankie. 'Whiskey Dream' was a delight to witness. As for one of my favourites 'Strange Kind Of Love' that was indeed an absolute joy to finally hear live! 'Lips Like Ether' will always hit the spot, with 'You're Not The Only One' possibly one of the best love songs I've encountered, and a stunning ending with a Nat King Cole cover 'Nature Boy' which was just sublime. As for ovations, one wasn't quite enough for this magical night. What an honour that Grant was happy to share some of his musical journey with me before the event. 

I’d love to know if you can remember the very first song you wrote? Anything significant about it?
It was called 'Anytime You Want Me' and as I recall it, it was pretty good for a first go. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I wrote it. It contained the immortal line, "…Yes, I’m lonely because of rock and roll.” Prophetic.

What does success mean to you. How do you feel about your level of success creatively. Is there more to come? Are you driven to be successful?
Success is writing a song, having some gigs, being able to pay the bills. I’m driven to create, there’s certainly more to come but motivations are often elusive. I think I’ve been able to satisfy myself creatively but being satisfied in general is not a strength of mine. I can be hard on myself but I feel that’s fundamental to what I do and who I am.

‘Wanderlust 2’ - I ADORE it. It feels special. Wondered why it didn’t make the main Dogs In The Traffic Album?
I wrote it with Bobby in a studio in London - we needed a b-side. Took us a couple of hours..I’ve always liked it. It was never in contention for Dogs In The Traffic and even thinking about it now, it wouldn’t have worked on that record. You have to be brutal sometimes when you’re deciding what stays, what goes.

Your song ‘You’re Beautiful’ is one of the most emotional songs I’ve ever listened to you. Are you a romantic?   
I think I am. I think there’s a rawness to it, I meant it when I wrote it and it still means something.

Any solo albums in the pipeline?
Yes. It could happen this year, but don’t hold your breath.. I’ll certainly be playing some new songs at the London show. I have a title in mind. 'Killers And Kings, Termagants And Tars’. I mentioned this at a recent show and some geezer shouted, “WHAT?” It’s about half done and what I have so far, I’m very happy with.

Lockdown has been very hard for many of us and for me personally music has been a huge source of comfort. Any moments in your life where music has really helped you or particular artists that you turn to during difficult times?  
During lockdown I found myself listening to things I listened to when I was around 16; Zeppelin, The Stones, Pink Floyd..perhaps in a subconscious effort to find a safe space. Music has been my whole life but I go through periods of not listening to very much at all - I think this can be a common thing for songwriters in general. I read a lot of books about The Beatles during lockdown and I adore Get Back..my feelings for them seem to have grown stronger and stronger. 

Can we please talk Tom Waits! I hear you might be a fan. His music and creativity hugely inspire me. Are you still inspired by him? Favourite Tom Waits album?
He’s the greatest artist I’ve ever seen - I saw him in New York when we were recording Strange Kind Of Love - around the time Frank’s Wild Years was released. The show was unbelievable, the band looked like he’d just rounded them up on the street outside but the sound they made was otherworldly. His persona is quite Chaplinesque I think, the shows are mesmerising. My favourite is probably Swordfishtrombones.

Finally (apart from Waits perhaps) anyone you’d really like to collaborate with?
Paul McCartney. I think we’d work really well together.

With many thanks to James Grant for his generosity sharing his time with me and offering some insight into his own creative path. I feel very humbled and very grateful I got to witness one of his evocative shows for myself. You can see Grant perform again at https://www.thequeenshall.net/whats-on/james-grant-and-hallelujah-string-quartet on 25th March. 

Reviewer - Mary Fogg
on - 11/3/22

No comments:

Post a Comment