Saturday 19 March 2022

MUSIC REVIEW: Specky Cult - Jumping On Our Own Bandwagon / Oi Oi Boy.


Band: "Specky Cult" (Upcoming Musical)
Album: "Jumping On Our Own Bandwagon'" (Songs from the play)
Including New Single : "Oi Oi Boy"

Specky Cult are a three-piece acoustic punk band form the North East of England, made up of Rob Glover, Andy McGrevy and Carol Stephen, and quoting their own words, "are pretending to be naughty children". The three-piece who even played with The Stranglers in their twenties have been working on a musical play and through this medium are able to unleash their own unique creativity and sound. What is interesting about this, is Specky Cult aren't actually a real band but a fictional band from the musical that they wrote and as they themselves say "what is a 'real' band anyway." Its centres on four bandmates hoping to get their big break in London and how the journey enfolds, things that go very well and things that well, don't. Actors are recorded playing the parts, and then the songs are being inserted to form a podcast of the show, of which two are being created and both an hour long. The recordings will be released as podcasts and CDs once all are completed. 

All this will be an introduction to the project, and there are plans to develop the work into a live stage show, with even the possibility of making them into 4 half hour TV shows. One of the main reasons Specky Cult are releasing the music before the show is predominantly down to the recent pandemic and a desire to get creative and out their performing as soon as possible. The music will definitely make more context within the show and I know I for one, am very interested in seeing the full podcast once released. 

But first the music, which is now here to whet one's appetite and I can categorically say it has most certainly sparked my interest. How to describe it? There are definitely layers of indie, and folk here, though ultimately, this is an acoustic punk band. On a first listen my mind had to work a little harder than normal to unravel the lyrics and decide what on earth is going on, but the more I listened, the more I was intrigued and wanted more. Wanting more is always a good thing! The songs are quirky, unique and very, very catchy. How this music all fits together within the upcoming podcast/shows is what really has me hooked and eager to find out. One track that was first released 'Dog Ate My Homework' (I'm sure I used that excuse once or twice at school!) I found very appealing -  a lush melodic undertone and lyrics that really grabbed me, with a slight melancholic twist. The second single to be released "Oi Oi Boy" is so very catchy and punky! You can definitely imagine much fun was had recording this one, its full of commotion, confrontation and thoughts of what could go wrong in any given situation. In fact, I couldn't listen to this track just once and with each listen the lyrics really sank in - dark comedy at its finest! 

Another track of theirs that really pulled me in is "Hearts Not In It" and I was really intrigued by the particular lyrics in this song "If your hearts not in it, bin it!" Words that are sung with zealous passion! I wholeheartedly agree and I can tell Specky Cult's heart is most certainly in this new and exciting project and I wish them all the luck with the podcasts and shows. 

You can find out more about Specky Cult, including their new album and musical, by visiting 

No comments:

Post a Comment