Monday 14 February 2022

FILM REVIEW: Jackass Forever - Vue Cinemas, The Printworks, Manchester


Hi I’m Daryl Griffin, and welcome to my review of Jackass Forever!

A decade after the last film (not counting 2013’s Bad Grandpa) and twenty-two years after the show first aired on MTV; the boys, minus two and plus five new members, are back in what has to be the best Jackass sequel to date. Jackass Forever is a heart-warming, and endearing film about friendship without going too heavy on the nostalgia and sentiment.

With the original gang nearing, or over, that big 5-0 mark, do not be fooled in thinking that a few grey hairs or wrinkles will dampen the scale and extremities of the stunts. Jackass Forever presents us with some of the most stupid, simple, yet effective gags since the first film. Not relying so much on the spectacle that Number Two and 3 seemed to; that isn’t to say that you’re in for a dull show, far from it, as Forever achieves the appropriate reactions without struggle.

As a fan of Jackass from when the show first aired, this is the first film I’ve been able to see in the cinema, and what a treat it was to see so many men get punched/ kicked/ hit in the genitals on the big screen. Seeing this film was like when I saw the Downton Abbey film; embracing an old friend; that love, comfort and familiarity was there. (Who would have thought that Jackass Forever and the Downton Abbey film were the same? Shocking I know!). Forever may have that Hollywood budget, and better equipment and tech than the series and first film, however it is able to retain that small screen feel which I’d argue adds to the charm and is needed for something like this. The Jackass franchise has never gone above its station... too much.

Speaking of equipment and tech, the film looks and sounds great. The indoor scenes are as vivid and warm as the outdoor scenes. Without sounding absolutely ridiculous, I think the Jackass cinematographers are up there with some of the best. Surely being able to capture a group of men playing pranks on each other with explosions, vomiting, deadly animals, copious amounts of pig semen, in perfect framing and detail, all the while being in the line of fire yourself, has to stand for something?

Since the last film, we’ve witnessed the rise of Instagram and Tik-Tok, and it would have been very easy for Knoxville + Co. to ditch the studio and crews for the internet. It’s touching to see that they have not done that and stuck to their roots. I think this compliments what I wrote earlier about having that big budget but retaining the small screen charm.

I write Knoxville + Co., but Jackass Forever is very much “Danger” Ehren McGehey’s film. It is charming and pleasing to see him go from being at the bottom of the Jackass food chain, to sort of remaining at the bottom of that pyramid, but being a lot more appreciated than in previous instalments. Forever has this great sense of involvement, now whether that’s because of age or contractual agreement, I don’t know. Which brings me onto the newer members...

We all love Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, Wee-Man etc. we are introduced to some newer, and I’m glad to say, equally lovable members. Poopies (I forget his actual name, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be as funny or catchy as “Poopies”) stands out as a hybrid of the late Ryan Dunn and Dave England. Joining him also is Zach Holmes (Preston Lacy Jr.), Jasper Dolphin (he’s his own personality), Rachel Wolfson and Eric Manaka. Maybe in keeping with The Three Stooges, and random '80's TV revivals, this new gang will be named ‘The New Jackass’, or as time takes its toll and Death welcomes the older members, they’ll “fake Shemp” everyone and carry on with the current name, like no-one’s the wiser. I digress. Either way, the franchise is in good hands.

After the last two years, Jackass Forever is the perfect film to go back to the cinema to see. It’s goofy, it’s eye-wateringly funny, it’s downright filthy is what it is. It’s the perfect break from reality. I’d also say that in this age of sequels and reboots, this is the best example I’ve seen of a franchise comeback after a reasonable hiatus... Everyone better take notes that is how you do it (Ghostbusters: No Way Home, I’m looking at you). Forever ends with a surprisingly poignant montage of past stunts and gags from the early years contrasted with newer ones that I imagine will make it into Forever.5; I joked when I inquired about writing this review, that Jackass wasn’t really art, but upon seeing this film I think I stand corrected. Jackass Forever has been crafted out of love and a lot of thought has gone into the stunts and narrative (if you can say a film like this has one). It is obvious just how much Jackass means to everyone involved.

What I very nearly forget to write was that we the audience have aged too, and the world isn’t the same as it was ten years ago, let alone twenty. It demonstrates that Jackass can ride the cultural wave of change with ease. Age has brought a new appreciation and a degree of maturity to these stupid and gross gags. Or perhaps, I’m looking too deeply into an exploding toilet.

Interestingly, I saw the trailer for the 50th Anniversary of The Godfather and it made me wonder if in another thirty years’ time, we’ll get to the see Jackass The Movie restored in 4K HDR?

Reviewer - Daryl Griffin
on - 12.2.22


No comments:

Post a Comment