Monday 28 February 2022

FILM REVIEW: The Godfather: 50th Anniversary Edition - Vue Cinema, The Printworks, Manchester.


Francis Ford Coppola’s adaptation of Mario Puzo’s epic American tragedy, The Godfather is back on the big screen, and it looks and sounds as gorgeous today as I imagine it did back in 1972. Presented in 4K and High Dynamic Range, this cinema experience was much more pleasant than when I went to see Apocalypse Now: Final Cut in the IMAX, back in the summer of 2019.

Now as to whether an old film can truly be remastered in 4K is up for debate (I’m inclined to say no, but I don’t wish to go into it in this review). Nevertheless the picture was superb, and the rich golden tones thanks to the Technicolor dye-imbibition process really pop off the screen in contrast with the velvety black. Does it look that different to my Blu-ray copy for ten years ago? Ummmmmmmmm, not particularly; although the only bits where I would say it is obvious are some very grainy shots early on in the film that are clearly stock footage. I’m just happy to finally see one of the greatest films ever made in the cinema.

You know on Desert Island Discs, where you’re automatically given a copy of the Bible and Shakespeare? Well I’ve always said (when asked, what my favourite film is) that The Godfather should be automatically counted. I mean, who doesn’t love The Godfather?... Maybe Frank Sinatra. The Godfather is one of those films that even if you have not seen it, you know the quotes and key moments. We all know Don Vito’s phrases (“I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse” “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man” and “I’d buy that for a dollar!”), we all know the horse's head in a bed (Spoilers I guess? The film is 50 years old, and if you’ve not seen the film or it referenced in The Simpsons and just about everything else then where have you really been?) It’s as important a part of Western pop culture as it is for cinema.

Seeing the film on the big screen, I did notice some things that I wouldn’t have on the television. For instance, the old man who sings ‘Luna Mezz’o Mare’ at Connie and Carlo’s wedding, his false teeth come away from his gums mid verse and he almost spits them out. In the scene where Carlo beats Connie, there are two photographs of Vito and Carmela Corleone which are clearly stills from the aforementioned wedding scene sitting on the mantelpiece. Diane Keaton’s eyebrows are one minute pencil lines, next minute thick and natural eyebrows. (This one was quite distracting). I never noticed how Jack Woltz, a millionaire film producer who shows off his wealth to Tom Hagen and has him around for a very fancy dinner, with his best tableware no doubt, has a grubby bottle of Heinz ketchup on the dining table. They weren’t even eating anything that warranted ketchup! You know, it’s these little details that Francis Coppola wanted to me to pay attention to when seeing The Godfather on the big screen.

Teeth, eyebrows and ketchup aside, I found myself gently smiling at the opening wedding scene. I really do believe it’s one of the best film openings (asides from the Club Obi Wan Anything Goes scene in Temple of Doom, but that’s just good fun), we’re introduced to the main players and we get an idea of their personality and characteristics. You may say that’s what all opening scene are like and I’ll say well yeah, but I like this one in particular. The Sicily scenes also had me smiling and the hairs of the back of my neck stood up when the love theme swells as Michael strolls over the hills of Sicily.

Talking of music, Nino Rota’s soundtrack is phenomenal. I’ve always been a fan of it but to hear it through the cinema’s sound system really made it special. I don’t think anyone else could have made a soundtrack that fits and works with the film and story so appropriately, even if they had every possible resource to hand. It was probably the highlight of this experience. I really ought to get the soundtrack on vinyl... I really ought to get the soundtrack to Part II too. I really ought to listen to more of Nino Rota’s music. I really ought to just keep these thoughts to myself and not type them out...!

On a broader note, it was nice to be back in the cinema and watching something I actually enjoyed. I think for a long time (before COVID and the likes) I had unfairly associated going to the cinema as not being an enjoyable time. I now realise that it wasn’t the cinema itself, but more the films I was watching that soured my experiences. It’s absolutely great going to the picture house to see a ruddy good film! However, along with the joy of seeing The Godfather in the cinema comes the slightly depressing thought that I have now seen all the classic films I’ve wanted to see in the cinema, in the cinema. And to add to this pain, I was subjected to a trailer for the new Sandra Bullock film that looked absolutely awful and was a violent slap in the face that reminded me that this is what Hollywood and the film industry has become... Sandra Bullock trying to be funny on an unconvincing jungle set. Produced by Paramount, you know, the same company that produced The Godfather.

Saying that, The Godfather Part II is going to be shown in cinemas at some point this year, and as much as I love Part II, I don’t have that “I must see this in the cinema” urge that I do for the first film. However I will probably go and see it still. There’s this certain feeling, emotion even, that is provoked when seeing this film, and also when I saw Apocalypse Now and The Empire Strikes Back that is these are really made for the big screen. It’s a rather unimaginative and clumsy way of putting it, but I don’t have it with newer films, even ones I’ve really enjoyed it. It’s something about the spectacle of it all. The craft that’s gone into every shot. The Godfather is one of those films where you could take a screengrab from any moment, and it would look great. I think it maybe a mix of that and having only ever seen these films on a television. One day I’ll be able to explain it better, maybe even create a term for it. Watch this space.

I would have been happy seeing this on the big screen even if it was a dreadful VHS copy; I know that aside from celebrating one of the most important films ever made, it’s also a chance for Coppola to cash in and finance his next independent picture, or to buy all copies of Jack to destroy them. I’m just happy to have seen it, and you can too as it is in cinemas until 3rd March I believe.

I’m sorry to those of you that was expecting a serious, academic, in depth review of The Godfather, but it’s been done to death for the last 50 years, and it probably will be done to death for the next 50 years. Seeing this film was a personal thing for me. We all know The Godfather is great, you don’t need another pipsqueak telling you why. It was a great film that made for an equally great cinematic experience, and I really enjoyed it and so did everyone at the screening. Go and see it. 

Reviewer – Daryl Griffin
on - 26/2/22


No comments:

Post a Comment