Saturday 19 February 2022

AMATEUR MUSIC REVIEW: Chetham's Saxophone Ensemble and Middle School Orchestra Concert - The Stoller Hall, Manchester.


Gather round dear reader, for I bring a tale that rivals only that of Shackleton’s Endurance expedition. Traversing blistering bitter winds, relentless lashings of rain and hail, I made my way to the Stoller Hall in search of wonderful music and warmth. I was not disappointed.

Firstly, I would like to say how wonderful a venue the Stoller Hall is. I had forgotten how lovely, airy, and light it is in there. The hall offers such a warm and welcoming atmosphere, I really ought to go there more often.

Alas, this review is not about myself, or the hall, but the incredible, burgeoning young talent presented to us. It is so reassuring to know that fine musicians and beautiful music are being created in Manchester. I imagine this review may be a short one on account of the concert being great and not having much to say apart from how enthralling the performances given were.

7pm on the dot and enter stage left, the Saxophone Ensemble. From my left to right, Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone performing Karen Street’s Old Sarum, and what is immediately apparent is the quality of the sound. Perhaps outside of saxophone ensembles, we are used to the saxophone as a solo instrument, but when you have a number of them together playing beautifully, it creates an entirely different sound and ambience altogether. As an amateur Soprano saxophonist (in the sense that I pick it up from time to time and get annoyed when I can’t play really hard pieces and put it down again (because that’s not an unproductive and toxic way to learn)), I’ve often questioned the instrument’s position in music (“What?” I hear you ask. It’s hard to explain, so just stay with me), however the ensemble’s performance showed me that I was an idiot for questioning it in the first place.

Following that and 'The Lone Ranger' Theme (well a medley of 'William Tell' and other popular classical ditties), the audience was settled in and the mood set for the night. I’ve always been a sucker for the lower tones of the Tenor and Baritone, but what really caught my eye was the quality and professional handling of the Soprano saxophones. I do not wish to detract from the other players as they too were fantastic, but the Sopranos were simply amazing, almost angelic.

Following an interval in which half the city was blown into the sky and countless wheelie bins toppled over, we were introduced to the Middle School Orchestra. Again, I cannot press just how talented and professional these teens were. We were treated to a fantastic rendition of On The Cliffs Of Cornwall from The Wreckers by Ethel Smyth. Isn’t it great when you’re introduced to a new piece of music from a composer you’ve never heard of? I loved this piece and am sure to listen to more Smyth in the future! The orchestra members were well composed, and any hint of nerves were not apparent.

Concluding with a big finish of Tchaikovsky, followed by Brahms’ Hungarian Dance No.5 the success of the night was sealed. The parents of these wonderful teens must be so proud, as must the musicians themselves! Without sounding hyperbolic, these people are destined for great things in the future. The future of music, whether that be classical or contemporary, is secure (not that there was any threat or doubt to begin with). The night was a charming display of the determination, skill and talent of the pupils, presented through some truly great pieces of music. The long applauses from the audience were justly earned, and we would have carried on into the night had the orchestra not left the stage. I don’t think I can really put into words the emotional resonance this concert instilled in my mind. I would recommend these concerts at the Stoller Hall to anyone who appreciates music. You’re not seeing someone’s child up there, you’re seeing a professional musician.

And on that note, the night was over. I had missed my train and leaving with a positive mind-set spring in my step, I braved the weather and walked across town in search for a way home.

Reviewer - Daryl Griffin
on - 17.2.22


No comments:

Post a Comment