Monday 21 February 2022

AMATEUR GYMNASTICS REVIEW: Gymfusion - The Lowry Theatre, Salford.


Q: What do you get when you mix gymnastics and theatre? A: Gymfusion on the main stage at Salford's Lowry Theatre. Not normally two things which go together, I hear you say... and you'd think not. However, after attending this year's (annual under normal circumstances) Gymfusion event at The Lowry Theatre, I can honestly say that to my untrained and novice understanding of gymnastics, this was far more like contemporary dance and far more theatrical than I had envisaged. 

When I think of gymnastics, I hark back to my schooldays of gymnasiums full of foreboding and unwieldy apparatus: large ropes hanging from the ceiling, climbing frames, pommel horses, vaulting boxes, and goodness knows what else. I always had a slight panic attack at such lessons, since as an actor and dancer, I felt I was far too 'delicate' to put myself through such excess! Oh, how times have changed! I find now, at least from today's experience, that the majority of gymnastics is what is commonly referred to as 'floor work'. This is leaping, tumbling, acrobatics etc, choreographed to music, on a large mat. The modern parlance I believe is 'Rhythmic Gymnastics'. And this is what, with only two exceptions, was presented this afternoon in Salford. 

British Gymnastics hold events such as this around the country, in order to celebrate, collaborate, network, and support the many local amateur gymnastics clubs there are, and the incredible talent that walks through their respective doors. The vast majority of the young performers on stage this afternoon were between 7 and 15 years old and it was truly amazing to see just how flexible, skilled, and indeed fearless some of them truly were!

It is here that I begin to falter somewhat. As previously mentioned my last brush with gymnastics was at school (a-hem..... a long time ago...!), and so I am unable to give any technical or professional analysis of anything I saw. I can simply tell you about the items in the way in which I saw and interpreted them. As an actor I was looking for a total presentation from the groups. A true ensemble feel, (the amount of trust they must have for each other is incredible); interesting and appropriate choreography and a good use of the space, as well as a feeling that the gymnastc themselves were actually enjoying what they were doing.

Another problem I have with this review is that there were no programmes of any kind (not even a simple running order) available, and despite there being two comperes introducing the groups, this part of a theatrical presentation was missing, and so the information I have available on each group is simply the name of their organisation, and sometimes, if the comperes remembered to announce it, the title of the piece. 

If I scribbled the names down correctly, then the gymnastic groups taking part in this afternoon's showcase were: Kingston Vale Hawks, Tornadoes, and Cheer teams; Allegro Display Teams (Junior and Senior), HPL Juniors and Seniors, Red Shoes Academy (2 groups), Fusion Gymnastics And Cheerleading Academy, Penketh Gym Club, Urban School Of Gymnastics, Leeds Display Team (Junior and Senior), City of Lancaster Gym Club, and Warrington Gymnastics Club. 

It would be the longest review ever written if I were to mention all, other than congratulate them and say they were all mightily impressive. Even without considering that this would have been the first time some of them have ever performed on a stage in front of a audience; and even without the fact that there has been virtually nothing in the way of in-person training over the last two years; they were all fantastic and it was a delight to see. However, if you will indulge, I do want to mention the few items in the showcase which I personally (purely subjective) enjoyed more.

The presentations which I enjoyed the most were those which were the most theatrical (obviously! I'm coming at it from a different angle!). I looked at costuming, music and lighting used, storyline created (if appropriate), and of course the dancing.... I am knowledgeable on that at least! In these instances I really enjoyed:

1) "Soldier On" performed by Red Shoes Academy. The protagonist in their story was miming to the song and emoting as she portrayed the girl in love with the soldier. A simple but atmospheric story conveyed well. 

2) "Seven Years" performed by Penketh Gymnastics Club. This saw a wonderful collaboration between 5 very young girls and a slightly larger group of teenagers, as they combined their skills in this almost balletic routine. Beautiful.

3) The Leeds Senior Display Team (title unknown). I enjoyed the wholeness as they finished the piece with a similar picture to their start, and the use of space and creative lifts and tumbles were performed with seeming effortlessness. 

4) "Follow Your Dreams" performed by Kingston Vale Tornadoes. A very theatrical and upbeat presentation with Peter Pan characters, bringing the story to a new level. Again the tumbles, lifts and use of space were creative, and they were one of only two groups to incorporate trampolines and a vaulting box into their routine. Very impressive.

5) "Six" performed by HPL Senior Troupe. using the soundtrack of the modern Musical phenomenon, 'Six', we clearly saw the six wives of Hery VIII dancing with a large ensemble. The costuming, the pictures created, the lifts, and indeed the whole upbeat and joyous theatricality of this piece made it a firm favourite for me.

6) "Cleudo" performed by Allegro Senior Display Team. Again, a very theatrical and interesting idea, using the film (and board game) 'Cleudo' as inspiration for their rather sinister routine.

From a theatrical presentation point of view, when using the Lowry's main stage, the large rear screen with continually moving images, messages, pictures, etc was very distracting. The images etc displayed on here did not, in any way, relate to or complement what was happening on the stage, and therefore dimished the presentations. 

However, once again, hat's off to all. Truly inspiring and entertaining. Thank you.

Reviewer - Chris Benchley
on - 20.2.22  

No comments:

Post a Comment