Friday 24 May 2019

MUSIC REVIEW: 'There Goes My Miracle' - new single from Bruce Springsteen.


“Sunrise, sundownThe streets gone golden brownAuburn skies aboveI'm searching for my loveI'm searching for my love”

I am a huge music fan and as somewhat of a fan of American singer-songwriter Bruce Springsteen’s aka ‘The Boss’ work, was happy to have a listen to his new single the lush ballad ‘There Goes My Miracle’ and give my thoughts. Springsteen is noted for his poetic lyrics, Jersey Shore roots and distinctive voice, he has recorded both rock albums and the more sombre folk-orientated works. ‘There Goes My Miracle’ is taken from upcoming album Western Shores (to be released 14th June) and has a real feel of the broken hearted about it. One thing to note though is we have no idea who this miracle is, no mention of a she, or a her, Springsteen is often normally full of answers yet on this he keeps you guessing..

His lyrics repeatedly mention “Look what you’ve done” however they are then changed to “Look what we’ve done” Oh the intrigue! It’s an incredibly catchy song and I found myself humming the tune long after I had listened to it. ‘There Goes My Miracle’ follows previous lead single ‘Hello Sunshine’, with Springsteen saying recently, “This record is a return to my solo recordings featuring character-driven songs and sweeping, cinematic orchestral arrangements, it’s a jewel box of a record, which is influenced by the Southern California pop of the 70s”. He added “Glen Campbell, Jimmy Webb, Burt Bacharach, those kinds of records. I don’t know if people will hear those influences, but that was what I had in my mind. It gave me something to hook an album around; it gave me some inspiration to write."

Well I liked it, admittedly for me it didn’t punch me in the gut as I often like music to do, but all music can’t always do that and often why we buy an album, just for that one song! ‘There Goes My Miracle’ still does have a really earthy style and Springsteen sounds so melodic with his voice, a track I certainly wouldn’t turn off the radio and would happily listen to in the car.

You can listen to Bruce Springsteen’s ‘There Goes My Miracle’ here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=tbDKBcPsmoQ

Reviewer - Mary Fogg
on - 23/5/19

No comments:

Post a Comment