Sunday 15 November 2020

ONLINE MUSIC REVIEW: Live From The RNCM: The RNCM Session Ensemble


Thursday evenings do seem to come round much quicker these days....., and this last Thursday it was the turn of members of the RNCM Session Orchestra to perform in the online series of Thursday Lates: Live From The RNCM.

The evening's concert was split into two halves. The first half saw a section of the Session Orchestra accompany soloist Isobel Holly, and although still a student with the college, she is a singer / songwriter and performer in her own right. I don't normally listen to this particular style of music and am somewhat uncertain how exactly to classify it: 'Easy Listening Pop'? 'Folk Pop'? 'Commercial Folk Rock'? who knows?? But since it was something I am not normally listening to, I found the music both refreshing and challenging in equal measure. 

Holly sang 4 of her songs arranged for this ensemble, and am not sure if I was able to write down all the titles, but I do know that her second song, called, 'Seasons' was particularly lovely. Holly had a mature presence and mellow voice, and, a huge plus in her favour, her diction was also clear too. One of the reasons I don't listen to much music of this ilk is that the majority of singers have no idea what the word articulation means!

After the break and a reconfigured and different ensemble played with another RNCM student who is also recording and performing his own music, Brothers Wild.  And whilst Isobel Holly had brought lyricism and ballads to the table, Brothers Wild came brandishing flambeaux with a much more up-beat, 'commecrial' sound (again, apologies but have no idea about categorising!). 

Unfortunately the video was showing the wrong titles to the songs each time (were they one ahead?) and so I got a bit confused. I did enjoy the music though, and again Brothers Wild proved to be a professional and charismatic performer. And surprisingly, again, his second song in his set was my favourite. 

How wonderful though to be able to listen to two hugely talented artistes at the start of their undoubted long careers, in a live-streamed format meaning that I was allowing myself to be exposed to different musical styles which I would not have done had it been an actual concert, and in the so doing have found I enjoyed the music and would more than happily attend a live concert by either of these artists in the furture. 

The Session Ensemble was conducted by Andy Stott.

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 13/11/20

No comments:

Post a Comment