Thursday 26 September 2019

THEATRE REVIEW: Once Upon A Time - The Tobacco Factory, Bristol.


Despite The Tobacco Factory being such a monstrously large building, the Speilman Theatre located inside is the type of intimate setting that can take you away from the outside world. The set seemed as though it might be a little too small, and as I sat down I worried I was the only childless woman at an after-school special. And that the small space would only draw more attention to this fact.

As I sat just shy of the back row and the music began, I still left like a wolf in sheep's clothing. For the first minute or so, the show is filled with children's entertainment ,though after watching two of the leads run around in circles, I began to forget where I was sitting. I forgot that I, along with two other sets of adults, were one of the few who were childless. I began to fall right down the rabbit hole, where these three talented actors had me at the first joke. And let me just say - this is not just a children's show. Do not let the age of 7+ alter your view. I heard more jokes on the Government, sex, and adulthood than I did on anything else, though in such a way that would go completely over a child's head. 'Once Upon A Time', the tale of the Brothers Grimm and their sister Lottie, taught me the joys of revisiting your childhood as an adult. The show brought about a nostalgia for Saturday morning cartoons, and the simple humour of your youth.

So what exactly is it about? You might be yelling into your screen about now. Well, as I said before, it's about The Brothers Grimm. The plot is the most simple thing - there's a clock on one of the brother's hearts and their sister ventures into the Fairy Tale Kingdom to see the dreaded Rumplestiltskin to save her brother's life. However, while the plot is simple, Gonzo Moose have worked wonders with the side plots and simple twists and turns. The characters in the Fairy Tale Kingdom are each more hilarious than the last, and even without a glass of wine or a drink, you'll be laughing to the point of crying. Who knew the gatekeeper could be so funny, or the elf-slinger could make an audience cheer. The show throws out the comedy, only for you to do what you want with it. It's up to you to enjoy the fun, and truly 'Once Upon A Time' is a short show that is good for parents and kids alike. And even the childless adults like me.

Only available till Saturday, 'Once Upon A Time' runs at the Tobacco Factory in Bristol. So catch it while you can, tickets are cheap and drinks are plenty.

Reviewer - Aidan Bungey
on - 25/9/19

No comments:

Post a Comment