Friday 15 February 2019

REVIEW: Dirty Dancing (film) - Mayfield Depot, Manchester



Over the past few days, Manchester's Mayfield Depot has shown some of the most iconic love stories to grace our screens in honour of Valentine’s Day. Last night I caught their showing of Dirty Dancing, starting at 9:30pm.

Exactly next to the popular street-eat industrial-based GRUB, the event made use of its Christmas decorations by recreating the entrance to the space as a ‘twinkling snowy forest’, accessorized with red hearts for Valentine’s Day. There were no surprises as the door was left open to the main venue space, which guests pass on their way to the intentional entrance.

The winter theme was appropriate for the large, cold space; however, there were hot drinks and free blankets available for guests to get especially comfortable on the beanbags situated at the front of the banquette seats. There was a selection of food outlets available, including a vintage popcorn and candyfloss stall. These were essential contributions to the venue which, without the friendly serving staff and the warm glow of their vans, would have been difficult to customize for an event designed for couples and comfort. There was little organisation to the seating as I found myself perching on the side of another couple’s beanbag as all the seats were taken.

A group of young dancers made their way down the isle for the two main dance numbers in the film, the classic “I carried a watermelon” scene and the final routine to (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life. The performers were full of energy and smiles as they enthusiastically performed their similar choreography to what was happening on the screen. I only wished that there had been an introduction for them, as they danced next to many guests’ heads; their arrival came as a surprise for many sunken into beanbags. I was concerned as the lead dancer made her way into the famous lift in the final number, knowing the ground beneath her was solid concrete. For a film like Dirty Dancing, the dance numbers are important and deserve attention. I would have liked to have enjoyed the troupe’s performance but I found myself and my attention torn – the busy lighting effects cascading the exposed brick were dizzying.

Despite all this, I had fun. Dirty Dancing enables the viewer to vicariously participate in the summer romance they wish they’d had. I was cold, but, as a result, I had to cuddle my partner. That is, in the grand scheme of things, what Valentine’s Day is all about.

Reviewer - Jessica Wiehler
on - 14/2/19

No comments:

Post a Comment