Monday 12 June 2023

GASTRONOMY REVIEW: The Hanging Gate Pub and Restaurant, Weaverham. Northwich.


There have been some substantial changes to this pub / restaurant since my last visit. A large French window leading onto a courtyard and children's play area at the rear is now fully functional, and the establishment itself has been taken over by yet another chain company, and so, there is a new menu too.

An uninspiring and 'usual fare' of starters did not appeal, and so I went straight to the mains and ordered a gammon steak. I asked for the meat to be well done... ie: thoroughly through-cooked and no "juice" - and yet, when the meat arrived it was swimming in its own juices and hardly even medium cooked. It was also extremely salty. The menu states that the gammon is served with a free-range egg and fresh pineapple. The egg was hard. The dish also came with a large mushroom which was not on the menu, and when I went to pay, they informed me that I should also have had onion rings too.. again not on the menu! If you wish to have any potatoes with this meal then you must order them separately, and so I asked for 'chunky chips'. These chips were actually 'triple-cooked' chips {a heinous fad which will hopefully disappear as soon as it came!} and were smothered in crystalised sea salt.... so salty in fact, that they were inedible. After bringing this to the manager's attention, he just shrugged and said he would clear the plates when I was finished... not even offering a sincere apology or offering to supply a fresh portion.. and so needless to say, I did not overstay my welcome in this establishment and left as soon as possible. 

When the establishment allows a family to bring their own packed lunch and happily eat that in their rear garden while their children play on the equipment (purchasing only the drinks from the bar); where they do not stock apple juice, and the waiter doesn't think to offer me an alternative fruit juice, but instead states they have J2O (a blend of fruits very-much watered down and full of sugar); where the head waiter / manager seems to care little for his customers and does nothing to placate a complaint and keep custom; and where the prices charged do not give value for money, I see little or no point in ever returning.

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall

No comments:

Post a Comment