Saturday 26 November 2022

GASTRONOMY REVIEW: The Toby Carvery, Bradford.


Bradford's Toby Carvery is ideally situated on the main by-pass near the motorway junction, and so ideal for the weary traveller in need of sustainance.

I am no stranger to the Toby Carvery, having patronised the restaurants in this chain many times from York to Bolton with most places in between, however, it was my first visit to this particular one on the outskirts of Bradford. And I could not have been more delighted. The interior decor might well be the same as every other establishment, but the carvery itself was simply the best I have ever tasted!

With a plethora of vegetables on offer I was spoilt for choice, but I can highly recommend both the red cabbage and the creamy leeks; whilst the roasted parsnips were so succulent, sweet and tasty that I could easily have made a meal out of just parsnips alone! And as for the roast meats themselves, we had a choice this afternoon of beef, turkey, gammon and pork. I am very fond of the more well-done meat and I noticed that the ourtside 'crust' of the pork had not been taken - ditto for a large helping of the more crispy and dark outsides of the beef. I didn't hesitate, and the server was more than happy to pile them onto my plate, saying that if I didn't eat them, they'd only go to waste as most people prefer the insides of the joint. I was like a pig in muck; all my Christmasses had come at once, and the food was cooked to perfection for me. 

A couple of things however do make me have to mark this establishment down somewhat. Not being able to have a cup of tea, (and a cuppa would have been the icing on the cake with my late lunch!), since they had 'run out of milk' - I kid you not. And the staff were not allowed to nip across the road to the nearby supermarket to buy some either! And further, the gents toilets had had a problem with the plumbing and there was water all over the cubicle floor. Not ideal.

However, when their carvery platter is so good and excellent value for money (only £7.99), you'd be mad to pass this place by!

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 25.11.22


No comments:

Post a Comment