Friday 26 August 2022

LIVE PODCAST REVIEW: Clive Anderson's My Seven Wonders - Assembly George Square, Studio 3, Edinburgh.


Ever since he was the host / compere on 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?', I have enjoyed Clive Anderson's clipped, somewhat brusque, comedic delivery, and have wanted to see him live...and this afternoon, I finally got my wish!

However, with this particular show, 'My Seven Wonders', we don't just get Anderson, but also a famous mystery guest with whom he will chat, banter, and ask of them to name their own personal seven wonders. Normally done behind closed doors and recorded in podcast format, this was a live recording of said podcat with very much a live and enthusiatic audience. 

Today's mystery guest was comedian Al Murray, and I have to admit I warmed very much to Murray this afternoon. I have never seen him live - his alter ego, The Pub Landlord, being one of my pet hates and would probably ask to put into Room 101 if I ever got the chance; however here Murray came across as a sincere, humble, and down right decent human being, and the bonhomie and chit-chat between the two was both interesting and entertaining. 

Murray's seven wonders were: the Channel Tunnel, drums and drumming, The Edinburgh Festival (of course!), the history of WW2 (especially spitfires), Spike Milligan, computer Windows updates, and France. However to find out why he chose these subjects and to hear him and Anderson have a more than decent crack at a Goons script, you'll just have to listen to the podcast.

Brilliant!

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 24.8.22

No comments:

Post a Comment