Saturday 2 April 2022

THEATRE REVIEW: Vagina Cake - Hope Mill Theatre, Manchester.


Hope Mill Theatre played host to the talented HER Productions and their production of  'Vagina Cake'. Written by Lauren Harper it was clear to see why so many people fell in love with this piece this evening.

Focusing on the lives of five woman who can’t give up on each other, we see the very separate but completely entwined relationships these women have developed over the course of 15 years, from Jägerbombs to divorce parties, we see each characters' journey as they navigate life, love and losing a little bit of themselves to societal expectations.

Covered in a pink hew, we begin at the Duchess’s wedding, a character we never meet but still one who seems to exist in all of our lives. Conceited, egotistical and demanding, the Duchess has a hold over these four. The friends insist on staying friends with her even though they each have a mutual distaste that all four participate in discussing, but never pluck up the courage to retire the friendship

Leaving the audience to question what this fifth character brings to their quintet. Something that I believe does come part and parcel with developing university friendships and incessantly wanting them to work after university because of “the good old days”. Over the course of the play, we see major life events played out surrounding this fictitious character and each event allows our main four to reveal where they’re at in their current lives.

Throughout the show we meet Dipsy (Laura Littlewood), Fraggle (Jade Golding), Mary (Victoria Oxley), and Mumps (Francesca Kingdon). Each character had their own triumphs, tribulations and re-evaluations that at times it felt quite stereotypical of the issues women face in society; the career-driven unlucky-in-love type, the scatterbrained virgin, the holistic feminist and finally society’s expectation of a woman: the picket fence, husband, 2.5 kids and a dog. I found myself struggling to resonate with just one of these characters - but maybe that was the point! Because as women were not all black and white and we don’t just fit into one box. We are every bit a piece of Dipsy, with a sprinkle of Fraggle, a side of Mary and a dash of Mumps - and even if we don’t want to admit it, we all have a little pinch of the Duchess mixed in too.

Laura Littlewood gave me such Amy Poehler vibes and I absolutely loved it! Her character was everything I wanted from the slightly uptight, organised planning friend we all had at university! Her role was to be the people-pleasing authoritarian and every ounce of her gave that! Jade Golding on the other hand played Fraggle with such ease: her calming yet party girl demeanour encompassed the days that once was, which resonated with the audience and the worries of “why is everyone else moving on and I’m not”. Francesca Kingdon's Mumps was a lovely surprise as I associated her character with being a tough cookie, and that she is, but it’s not a representation I’d have held to the path her character was on - I thought the way Kingdon played the character gave so many modern depictions that I absolutely loved it. But I have to say Victoria Oxley played Mary absolutely beautifully! Her comic timing was beautiful partnered with her character's caring soul and whimsicality. There wasn’t one moment I didn’t love about Oxley.

There are many things I enjoyed when watching 'Vagina Cake', moments I resinated with and moments I had experienced, however there were also moments that felt slightly lost on me at the ripe age of 26, that my older friend who watched with me absolutely loved because she’d experienced them - this being considered I think this gives the writing of Lauren Harper a timelessness because each milestone event and moment wasn’t dictated by a certain age limit or timeline. I feel like I could watch this piece in 10 years' time and it’ll give me a completely different perspective from what I have now. Each pin cake moment in the play was gifted with beautiful lighting and the staging was minimalist but appropriate for the journey the show needed to go on. I loved the soundtrack to the whole show but thought some moments were slightly lost with background noises like people chatting “in the other room” - a personal dislike.

Overall, I enjoyed watching 'Vagina Cake' but I think I want more story development, it all felt a little rushed and I wanted to see more gravity to each of the characters' relationships.

Reviewer - Caroline Bleakley
on - 1.4.22

 


No comments:

Post a Comment