Thursday 12 March 2020

THEATRE REVIEW: Back To The Future: The Musical - The Opera House, Manchester.


I have a confession to make: namely that I have never seen the film from which this musical has been based. And to make matters worse, the clips, adverts etc at the time the film was being shown (I was in my late teens) didn't inspire me, ergo my never actually watching it. The only things I DID know was that the film involved an inventor and a time-travelling car, and it starred Michael J Fox. Therefore, armed with this minimal knowledge and nothing else, I attended the Opera House in Manchester this evening with a completely open-mind and no preconceptions. I was, you might say, a Back To The Future virgin and my initiation on this full-to-capacity World Premiere press performance, was about to begin...

The set, as we took our seats, was one of computer circuits and screens, all rather retro-futuristic (ie: exactly right for the 1985 setting of the show), with a few modern twists, such a the Facebook, Twitter and Instagram icons etc. It looked very impressive and the computer circuitry took up not just the stage but all the side boxes and the space above the prosc. arch too. Anticipation was high.

The audience lapped up the first half hour or so... clapping, laughing and whooping at all the obvious parallels or Mickey-takes from the film. Every time someone said a line they recognised, or made a physical gesture they remembered, the crowd went wild. I sat there rather unimpressed. The characters were very monodimensional, caricatures even, and the storyline took seemingly forever to warm up. Was I missing something? Did I need to have seen the film beforehand? ....

...and then it all clicked. About half an hour into the show, I got it! Yes, lines, characters, costumes, signature gestures, etc had been faithfully recreated, but, and here's the big but, they had been very cleverly lampooned too. They were meant to be over-the-top - this wasn't the film, this was a comedy Musical BASED on the film, and we were meant to laugh! I still didn't 'get' the references that the fans of the film did, but at least I relaxed and started to enjoy the show for what it was, and found that in fact, I really shouldn't have worried or cared... even BTTF virgins can watch this musical and have a great night out!

Money had been thrown at this production from all angles, and it showed. This was a tip-top, slick and highly proficient show. It wasn't fancy and things didn't happen for the sake of it. It all was an integral part of the whole and the whole was, in a single word, amazing! Before I even look at the acting, I just simply have to mention the technical side of this show, which was simply immense. A set design including a revolve, excellent and very clever projections, a few clever 'magic' tricks along the way too (no spoilers), and a lighting design that was mesmerisingly brilliant and effective. The 'star' of the show in many ways of course has to be the De Lorean car, and this doesn't disappoint either, in fact, it delighted beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Forget the crashing chandelier; forget the helicopter; you can even forget Chitty Chitty Bang Bang; The De Lorean's presence and hydraulic journey this evening was jaw-droppingly brilliant.

And now, back to terra firma! The cast (all 25 of them) were perfectly chosen and worked so well together. The ensemble had a lot to do in this show, and many of them took on tiny cameos with ease. Their singing and dancing abilities were just superb, and the dance routines were energetic and precision-timed. The music, (my ONLY negative criticism with this show) is something that I have problems with in general... the volume had been turned up too high! I have no idea why producers think that all audiences are deaf or want to be when it comes to amplification. The whole sound levels argument is one I am constantly battling many production companies with, and it applied here too. Turn the voilume down... we'd still have had the same experience and our ear-drums will last a few years longer thanks! However, back to the music.. a mix of original material written for the musical by Alan Silvestri and Glen Ballard with the addition of a few 'standards', including 'Johnny B. Goode' and 'The Power Of Love'. I thought the original music was superb, and really suited the characters and the genre (1980s and / or 1950s), but I would have liked the entire show to have been original.. but that is just a personal preference. The live 14-piece band in the pit this evening was absolutely en-pointe.

To talk a little about the actual characters in the show, then it was the characters of Marty's father, Goldie Wilson and Biff that I had my initial difficulties with.... they seemed like cardboard cut-outs with no substance... cartoon caricatures almost. I needed the other characters and the story in order to make sense of them at first... but as I have already said, they grew on me, and by the end of the show was completely invested in them in the same way as I was with the rest of the cast. Marty's Father, George McFly was played by a seemingly elastic but very talented Hugh Coles; Goldie Wilson was the personable Cedric Neal; and Biff Tannen, the thug and bully, was Aidan Cutler. Rosanna Hyland gave a lovely and very relatable performance as Lorraine (Marty's mother), whilst love interest was provided for by girlfriend Jennifer (Courtney Mae-Briggs). However, besides the De Lorean, this show stands or falls by the performances of two people who are not just integral to the story, but are the story: Marty McFly (Olly Dobson) and Doc Brown (Roger Bart). I can understand the producers wanting to cast two actors here that could resemble both physically and vocally Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd, as well as the costume department wanting to dress them in a similar way too; however for me, it wouldn't have mattered. These two actors had a sizzling on-stage chemistry, and despite the ludicrousenss of the plot, made it work for them completely. They were both mesmeric and engaging actors, but I especially enjoyed Bart's rendition of 'This One's For The Dreamers' in the second act.

VERDICT: It matters not one jot whether you are a fan of the film or not.. this is an absolute MUST-SEE of a show. I am a total convert, and would happily go again tomorrow if there were any tickets left!! So grab yours while you still can!

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 11/3/20

No comments:

Post a Comment