Wednesday 5 February 2020

THEATRE REVIEW: Curtains - Venue Cymru, Llandudno.


I’m not sure where to start with this glorious, show-stopping musical extravaganza. ‘Curtains’ a musical comedy from the creators of Chicago and Cabaret have certainly put on a stellar production here at Venue Cymru. I was very, very impressed and I definitely left the auditorium with a little extra spring in my step after the final curtain. Here’s the official lowdown..

“It’s murder putting on a new musical - literally! Jessica Cranshaw, star of the new Broadway-bound musical Robin Hood, has been murdered on stage on opening night! The entire cast and crew are suspects. Time to call in the local detective, Frank Cioffi, who just happens to be a huge musical theatre fan. With a nose for crime and an ear for music, Frank has his work cut out trying to find the killer whilst giving the show a lifeline. Starring Jason Manford and Carley Stenson this hilarious whodunnit is packed full of catchy songs, unforgettable characters and plot twists galore!”

Quite a lot to live up to it seems. Well indeed this Tony Award-winning musical certainly does and is definitely one of the slickest musicals I have ever seen. A true professional masterpiece which had us laughing out loud no sooner had the curtains been lifted. This musical show-within-a-show brought with it a glorious set and dazzling lighting effects, professionally delivered musical numbers and just the right amount of acting chops from the tight cast.

Jason Manford playing Frank Cioffi was in his absolute element up there, so watchable, likeable and he delivered his performance with the perfect amount of warmth, humour, confidence and charm! I would say he had the audience in the palm of his hand and his performance only got better and better as the show progressed. There would have been many out there seeing Manford in an acting role for their first time and who like me were pleasantly surprised. He’s a comedian first and foremost and I really wasn’t quite sure what I was in for. Well a treat it seems as Manford eased into his role and I soon forgot his comedian fame (although he still delivers some excellent gags and made me laugh). I watched him as any other actor up there and he did a five star job in my opinion. The cast as a whole were excellent and some other strong performances to be noted are Carley Stenson playing the alluring and charismatic Georgia Hendricks. She didn’t over play the role and gave just the right amount of sweetness to Georgia who could have been played too sickly sweet but no Stenson, who it has to be mentioned, performed her musical numbers perfectly, and gave an excellent all round performance. She has great stage presence and with lots of likability.

Another excellent performance for me was from Rebecca Lock playing the show's feisty and tough cookie producer, Carmen Bernstein. Lock never faltered from her ‘take no messing’ attitude to the role and she had a wonderful magnetism with superb vocal skills. I imagine there may be a bit of vocal work to keep that voice strong and powerful the way she does night after night but strong it is and her relationship with her daughter ‘Bambi’ played by Emma Caffrey and the different dynamics between them was really interesting to watch. Caffrey was extremely good in conveying her emotions at the possible harshness and misgivings from her mother and again a performance that really stood out for me for its believability and warmth. Other cast shout-outs to Leah Barbara West who plays murdered Jessica Cranshaw’s understudy Niki Harris, and is eager to make her Broadway debut. She meets and falls in love with Detective Cioffi, and their coming together is a delight to watch. West plays the role with a romantic softness and intelligence.

The whodunnit storyline was fun to observe, however it didn’t wholeheartedly grip me in the way some whodunnits have had me on the edge of my seat, but for an enjoyable evening's entertainment I followed the story through to the end. I was more immersed in the singing and dancing experience which were so professionally delivered. If you haven’t caught this Musical Comedy yet I’d definitely consider it, audience members were positively raving about it on leaving the theatre and it certainly made an impact on me.

Reviewer - Mary Fogg
on - 4/2/20

No comments:

Post a Comment