Wednesday 18 December 2019

SCHOOL CONCERT REVIEW: An Evening Of Festive Cheer - The Sackville Theatre, Sheena Simon Campus, The Manchester College, Manchester


HNC and Level 3 Musical Theatre students at The Manchester College gave their last concert of the year this evening to a packed Sackville Theatre, the school's own on-site studio theatre space.

The first half of the concert was a selection of songs from the Musical Theatre repertoire, whilst in the shorter second half they donned Christmas jumpers and tinsel whilst singing and dancing their way through festive songs both traditional and pop.

Considering I class myself as a Musical Theatre lover - indeed that has always been my first love and a genre in which I was gainfully employed, several of this evening's songs in the first half were unknown to me! [quickly jotting down the lyrics and then coming home to 'Google' them and find I had been listening to songs from shows such as Hamilton, How The Grinch Stole Christmas, Kinky Boots and Waitress... all Musicals I have yet to see!]

My overriding criticisms in a negative vein from this evening are twofold, neither of which have anything to do with the students themselves, but are instead technical aspects of the presentation. Firstly many of the soloists this evening were quite quiet, and so either needed more tuition in projection or microphones; and secondly the girls' modern fashion make-up did not work on stage at all, and needed a more neutral non-high-gloss look.

However, other than that this was a hugely enjoyable concert, given by some very high-spirited and talented youths. Without a programme (or indeed an MC or a screen to announce the names, items etc) I have no idea of anyone's name, sorry. However, I still would like to mention the evening's highlights. I did have a couple of favourites.. and this in no way denigrates or lessens the other singers / songs I don't mention, all were of an equally high standard... these were just my personal favourites from the evening.

First came a highly powerful and sassy rendition of The Mad Hatter's song from 'Wonderland'. The young lady singing this captivated and had my full attention throughout the song, and it was superbly interpreted and she had a powerful belt voice which was used well. Next to impress over and above came a female solo singing the song 'Burn' from Hamilton. Although this young lady started too quietly and she was inaudible at the beginning, the song swells and gains power and intensity, and she went with it bringing about a highly emotional piece of singing. In act two, a young man sang a solo, which I have been reliably informed was called 'River' by Joni Mitchell. The song was new to me, but both the lyrics of the song and the young man's vocal and emotive power blew me away!

I enjoyed the choreography to most of the songs and it was a varied and well-thought-through selection. The whole concert finished in a very upbeat mood with them a-whooping and a-clapping their way through Slade's Merry Christmas Everybody.

With a change of theatre venue happening only a few hours before curtain (they were due to perform at the Waterside Theatre), the stage was bedecked beautifully in lush red velvet curtains, gold stars and a lighted Christmas tree to one side, and watching the show, one would have had no idea that they were performing in a different space from the one advertised, and so that in itself is very meritorious.

Congratulations to all involved.. just what I needed to take me out of my maudlin state of mind!

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 17/12/19

No comments:

Post a Comment