Wednesday 6 March 2019

INTERVIEW: Aidan Bungay chats to CLAIRE SIMMO about her role in The Wizard Of Oz


As is turns out, panto is not just for Christmas, according to the Epstein Theatre and LHK Productions, it’s also an Easter treat too! This time it’s The Wizard of Oz starring some truly wonderful talent. With a cast of only six (or seven if we include Toto the dog!) this production won’t be lacking character. After meeting the cast and hearing some truly amazing performances from the likes of X Factor’s Sean Smith and a Liverpool favourite Lindzi Germain, I sat down with Claire Simmo, the voice behind Greatest Hits Liverpool as well as the resident good fairy Glinda.

We all know you as the voice on our radio playing some of the best tunes, but how does the stage compare to the studio?
Radio is very different, it’s a different type of tempo and you can’t rely on facial expressions. It comes to life a lot more when you’re on stage. Radio is me but panto? That’s a more ridiculous version of me!

Obviously you’ve got a lot on your plate, what have been some of the greatest challenges you’ve had throughout the run-up to the show? As of the minute, the main challenge is having to be in six places at one time! I’m on air, I’m here, and then I’m trying to do other things. I’m flying quite a lot in [The Wizard of Oz] so as for the show the biggest challenge is trying not to fall over this dress! I’m playing Aunt Em at the beginning and then I have to change and come back as Glinda.

You’ve done quite a few shows now, this’ll be your nineteenth, what started it off? I trained here for Elliot-Clarke, so I did Sleeping Beauty here. Basically, I like to be covered in glitter and jump around pretending I’m a fairy! Who doesn’t?! I’m living the dream, I like to bring enjoyment, and there are so many bad things that when you come to a panto you can lift yourself out of the world for a few hours.

They say ‘never work with children or animals’, is that true? No, just never work with Michael Chapman. That’s all I’ll say, it’s nothing to with children or animals. Keep that in mind, he’s like a naughty kid in school, putting you off, where he just makes you laugh. At Christmas he made me laugh on the last scene every night and the audience had no idea but I’d just go to pieces.

Do you have any advice for anyone who wants to get into panto or know a little more about it? Don’t take yourself too seriously and it’s a lot of hard work. Over Christmas there were fifty-six shows over three weeks. You have to be prepared for hard work but there is so much fun along the way.

You play Glinda in the show, what did you do to get into character? For Glinda, she’s a sassier role than most fairies. I play her quite Dolly Parton-ish. She lets Dorothy go half-way around the world instead of sending her home in seconds with the shoes on her feet. In some way, she wants Dorothy to grow, but I do like to bring out the sassiness in her, especially during this show.

If you could play any character in any panto, who would you play and why? Tinkerbell, because she is actually me. She has an innocent face but she causes all of this mischief with a smile on her face. She gets away with murder!

What’s next, panto wise? Well, I’d like to think that if this goes okay, I’d like to say Cinderella at Christmas. It’s the only panto I’ve never done. To play the Fairy Godmother would be the dream. If not, then I’d like to play a baddie as well. Just to see what happens.

Finally, three words: Why should people come to see The Wizard of Oz this Easter? Best cast ever.


The Wizard of Oz runs at the Epstein Theatre this Easter, from the 11th March till the 22nd April. Grab your tickets now, and by the looks of things this is not just for children!

Reportage - Aidan Bungay
on - 5/2/19

No comments:

Post a Comment