Monday 22 May 2023

STUDENT THEATRE REVIEW: A Chorus Line - The Eccleston Theatre, Pendleton Sixth Form College, Pendleton, Manchester.


It has been a long time - too long - since my last visit to Pendleton Sixth Form College, but hearing that they were producing 'A Chorus Line' it was one I just simply HAD to come to. It is so rarely performed these days, and that's a shame..it's a great show.

One question was left hanging in my mind however. How could a group of 16 / 17 year old students have the gravitas and the maturity to become on average 10 years' older and be a group of dancers (with baggage!) auditioning for a Broadway show. My concerns however were utterly unfounded. I totally believed their playing ages, and the cast displayed a maturity and sensitivity to their roles and the show as a whole that was way beyond their years and experience. 

Directed by Ian Bennett, the show had been updated somewhat to accommodate our changing times, but was not changed so much that it affected the show in any way, and the wonderful little 'hat nods' to both the film and the original Broadway production were a joy. 

The set was simple but effective. A large dance / rehearsal studio with mirrors. What more do you need...! 

However, before I start praising everyone and everything... allow me first to get the negatives out of the way first. And most unfortunately there were a couple of them. First, the music. As superb as it was - and under Nathan Jarvis's direction the band's cumulative sound was lovely, it was simply too loud in places; especially when music was underscoring dialogue. Some of the songs were too loud in general, and the sound levels needed adjusting to accommodate more than one principal singer. Sometimes there was unwanted feedback on the mics. And second, the lighting. Generally the creative design worked well, but there were times when the changes were late in being executed, or at other times they left principals in unwanted darkness or shadow. Again, that was such a pity.  I might also suggest that a running time of 110 minutes without an interval is a little long. It's doable, but I was shuffling and getting a "numb bum" towards the end!

The performers however simply blew me away! To say that this show requires a large ensemble with extras, and they al need to be triple threats - ie: they must be excellent dancers, singers and actors (pulling off a reasonable American accent); and then to realise that they are teenagers and students, still in-training; and then to watch them give fully-rounded, totally focussed and believable flawless performances.... it left me both speechless and breathless. I wish I was in a position to be able to employ them (sadly at the moment I am not) but I would not have hesitated!    

Holding the auditions is Zach (Ciaran Lockwood), who brought much to his role, which often gets sidelined. His relationship with Cassie, his genuine concern over the accident, and his overall demeanour (a world-weary, harassed and begrudging director / choreographer with a chip on his shoulder) was superbly measured. Cassie (Isabel Horrocks) was superb as the ex-girlfriend, and her 'Music And The Mirror' solo was fantastic. 

The whole company opened with 'I Hope I Get It', a very strong and sincere opening, and it only got better! However, to make a special mention to just a couple if I may be so bold...  A very moving speech from Paul (Martin McDonough) towards the end of the show gave me a lump in my throat, but it was Gracie O'Brien as Morales who had me welling up and crying with pure emotion as she sang the solo part and led the chorus in 'What I Did For Love'; and her rendition of 'Nothing' was just stunning.

Louise Pettitt needs due recognition to for her wonderful choreography, which was executed with style and precision by this large cast - even when they were supposed to be out of time or not doing the steps properly during the audition, it worked excellently. I loved  'One' (again the nice 'hat nods' to the original did not go unnoticed).  

It was a very hot, balmy Saturday evening, and despite the temptations to be elsewhere, I was so glad I had made the journey across the city to watch this show... I wouldn't have wanted to miss it for the world! 

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall
on - 20.5.23

No comments:

Post a Comment