Sunday 16 October 2022

THEATRE REVIEW: J B Shorts 22 - 53Two, Manchester.


Friday 14th October 2022, and I was at 53Two in Manchester, who hosted JB Shorts 22 and it was brillaint! I absolutely loved the venue and everything that was put on display. Highlighting 6 individual 15 minute shorts felt like just the right amount of theatre in one quiet and quaint little space. Perfect for a date night, a mate night or a solo trip JB Shorts was fantastic and a great night out.

The first play was 'I Want My Britain Back'. Krissi Bohn plays the controversial Secretary of State who finds herself locked in a room with political activist Rachel Gill-Davies, whose character is bidding for new healthcare plans with penny recipes to help those facing working class poverty and much more. Bohn’s character of the Secretary of State came across as a bitch BUT that was perfect for the role! She played brilliantly as we completely believed she was the Secretary of State! This was matched excellently with Gill-Davies’ character who calls out the Secretary of State at every moment she has and with every right she has. The debate between the two characters flowed effortlessly and the women had clear passion and energy on stage to fuel this great debate. The emotion and conviction from Gill-Davies’ character specifically when questioned about her class poured into the audience. Throughout the short, the humour and comedic timing was able to lift its audience from a touching and very raw topic that is captivating Britain in the present day whilst also complimenting the hard-hitting subject it was tackling. The whole piece had a 'Black Mirror' vibe and it left me wanting more. The ending for me wrapped the piece wonderfully leaving a satire note for the audience to interpret for themselves.

Starting with a fabulous rendition of when two become one, the transition of Karaoke was perfect in setting the scene for the next short 'I’m A Slut'. Hinting at the night before, 'I’m A Slut' challenges opinions and prejudice surrounding disabilities and the world of sex whilst also nodding to the societal appropriations of one-night-stands and the conversations surrounding that. Stanley Rawlings and Steph Lacey gave natural chemistry and the banter between them didn’t feel written. The conviction of Rawlings’ character made my head and my heart fight because he was so caring and loving and yet a little bit broken but had embarked on a terrible habit of adultery with no remorse for his actions. Anna Swan’s character felt like she had the right kind of egotistical balance that hit all the correct spots. Contrasting with Lacey’s intrepid yet seemingly coy character. As a whole l enjoyed the short and I was quite astounded that in the short burst of 15 minutes we see Rawlings character change so much. 

'The Looks Department' was one of my favourite pieces as the provocative storyline with drop of humour left me wanting to see a full length show of it! It left a divide between myself and my friend because it provoked her so much that she didn’t enjoy it but that is the reason I thought it was brilliant! Her opinion was that looks shouldn’t even be a discussion when hiring someone - and I said exactly that’s why this piece is so brilliant! The intertwined issues of age, culture and gender all highlighted internal prejudices that we each all have and we choose whether or not to act upon these! I also enjoyed the explorations of the solutions employees come up with in order to solve a little problem like choosing the right candidate, which can leave a company open to a lawsuit - which begs the question what do you do in all these moments. I found the dynamic between Jade Golding, Caroline Chesworth and Jordan Tweddle to be perfect! Each bringing something to the table that left the audience questioning where the piece was about to go. I walked away from this show wondering if this had ever happened in real life and also whether it’s happened to myself in life when applying for a position, a question I would never have the answer to.

'The Final Nail In The Coffin' was by far my friend’s favourite 15 minute short! Absolutely hilarious in all the correct places. This short explores the kidnapping of Boris Johnson, and Billy Doherty’s characters pursuit for justice in a far fetched and comedic way. Billy Doherty and Liverpool actress Victoria Oxley had a great chemistry on stage that suggested years of companionship from the couple they portrayed. Oxley was hilarious and witty which left a warmth with her audience, this warmth was matched by Doherty and the story which unfolded about his characters sisters battle with Covid. John Joyce-O’keeffe gave quite the performance as imitation Johnson which could have easily had me cringing in my seat, however it didn’t. It was subtle and plausible that Bojo does have a doppelganger doing his work. Dominique Ward’s news reporter gave just the right amount of gritty, cutting edge journalism with a touch of charismatic beauty. The whole piece in all was perfect for a 15 minute short. Leaving just the right taste in its audiences mouth. 

I found 'Recording History' to be funny in parts and the performance given by Nadia Watson, Alexander McGonagle and Wendy Albiston to be utterly convincing. I enjoyed the actors depiction of the character but the storyline for me was a little bland and I was glad it was only a short. Some moments throughout I found brilliant - special nod to the eyebrow gestures shared between McGonagle’s and Albiston’s characters. Moments like this I felt were well timed. Albiston’s humour throughout was perfectly light, partnered wonderfully with McGonagle’s characters naive wants for stardom and Watson’s characters snootiness! Was a lovely trio. 

'Five Women; Rambling' was by far my favourite of all 6 of the plays I watched! I really wanted to see a whole staged version of this. I wanted to explore the five women’s sisterhood more and more as the time went on. I wanted to see backstories, I wanted tragic endings and more camping shenanigans. This short entertained thoroughly whilst leaving more questions than answers. I wanted to know why Lynn Roden’s character (whom I imagine myself to be in 30 or so years) didn’t see her darling poppy on her own anymore. What was the big secret Kerry Williamson-Parry’s character was battling with. Who was Nicola Gardner’s character, I wanted to know about this brilliant Sister. How is Christine Mackie’s character coping with the penultimate theory of growing older and potentially loosing her best friend and significant other. And finally, does Julie Edward’s character EVER get to rejoin trampoline-aerobics! All the questions and not enough answers but I absolutely adored it and felt emotional throughout. 

Reviewer - Caroline Louise
on - 14.10.22


No comments:

Post a Comment