Friday 7 January 2022

GASTRONOMY REVIEW: Crepeaffaire, Cambridge.


After a long walk around the colleges and churches of Cambridge (there are more than you think!) - and in need of of a light snack and "put-me-on"; this creperie opposite the Round Church in the centre of the city seemed like an ideal choice.

Friendly and polite service, and an airy atmosphere as well as it being light inside due to the large windows and open layout, were very much this cafe's strong points.

I ordered an English Breakfast tea, and a smoked salmon and cream cheese crepe, which came to the staggering amount of nearly £12.00!! So, after picking myself up off the floor I sat at the table on a wooden-slatted bench covered with a cushion, (nouveau chic? not there for your comfort), and waited for them to bring it over. The tea arrived in a cardboard take-away cup, I had to ask for milk, and then had to ask for a teaspoon too! Sadly it was not English Breakfeast tea, whatever it might have said on the box the member of staff retrieved the bag from... it was an aromatic and slightly perfumed infusion which really didn't work with milk...! Then the crepe arrived: cold! The cream cheese had been pre-smeered onto the crepe before being folded and then cold smoked salmon in a tiny pile (not enough) was placed on top. The crepe might have been freshly prepared and warm before bringing it over, but the cheese and salmon had cooled it.. so too had the aluminium industrial plate with paper napkin it was served on. Sadly it was extremely underwhelming and not very appetising at all. One of the worst crepes I have ever tasted.

I'm afraid for the amount of money I spent on this snack, it was money down the drain. I do not expect to be served take-away style when I am 'eating in'! And at those prices, I would have expected the best fine bone china, and silver cutlery.. not the cheap plastic knife and fork that were placed on the table with the crepe! Disappointing is an understatement.

Reviewer - Matthew Dougall

No comments:

Post a Comment