Monday 8 July 2019

MUSIC REVIEW: new single 'In My Heart' from 'Dead Nature'.


Dead Nature is a solo project by Tarek Musa – drummer and vocalist of Manchester-based band Spring King, who notably supported the Kaiser Chiefs on their tour in 2017 and Kasabian at the Royal Albert Hall in the same year. Since the band came to an end late last year, Musa has been busying himself with mixing and producing for a number of other artists – that is until now where we see his first release as a solo performer.

“In My Heart” is a mammoth song to release as a debut – taking inspiration from many of the rock bands Musa has grown up with and there is a clear influence of Kasabian to the bass line that runs through this track. Musa describes that he has “been facing a lot of my past on this record. The process has been similar to that of my younger years where I was writing songs quite quickly, using instincts and gut feelings to propel the creative process.” These instincts he talks about have produced what can only be described as a rock anthem – something you could easily imagine being played to huge audiences at festivals and arenas.

Musa clearly knows the talent he possesses and speaks of the “line between self-respect and egotism” – a line that every performer has to draw and for many this line is in a completely different place. It appears that Musa doesn’t want to be given the label of arrogance which is commendable but with this debut single, he has something to be very proud of.

The song “In My Heart” is full of emotion as Musa shows his vocal talent from the very first line, through to the first chorus which then explodes into this anthem. I found myself trying to sing along during the bridge before the final chorus on the very first listen – despite obviously not knowing the lyrics. I have since played this many times in the car and found myself singing along is a very loud voice without thinking – a real mark of a great song.

There is an EP due out later this year from Dead Nature – titled “Taking My Shadow”. My excitement about Dead Nature is hard to hide as I wonder if this EP could be the release of the year to date – something I am very much looking forward to putting to the test.

Dead Nature are going to be massive – trust me on this.

Reviewer - John Fish
on - 6/7/19

No comments:

Post a Comment