Saturday 11 May 2019

PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION REVIEW: Life - The Lowry Theatre, Salford.


I was very humbled to be invited along to the pre-launch of a new exhibition of portraits by the photographer ZoĆ« Law at The Lowry in Salford Quays. Featuring 21 people living with cancer, LIFE seeks to raise awareness of the cancer support charity Maggie’s, and highlight the support needed for people with cancer, their friends and family. Curated by Ab Rogers Design, each photograph captures the subject’s joy for life and their resilience during and beyond cancer.

I had never heard of Maggie’s Centres before and quickly realised what a wonderful place of comfort they are for both people living with cancer and their families. You can simply walk in to one of the centres and Maggie’s provides free practical, emotional and social support. Built in the grounds of NHS cancer hospitals, Maggie’s Centres are places with professional staff on hand to offer the support people need.

The first Maggie’s Centre opened in Edinburgh in 1996 and since then has continued to grow, with 20 centres at major NHS cancer hospitals in the UK and abroad. Maggie‘s was started by Maggie Keswick Jencks who lived with advanced cancer for two years. During that time she used her knowledge and experience to create a blueprint for a new type of care. Maggie’s Centres are built around her belief that people should not “lose the joy of living in the fear of dying”. Maggie’s programme of support has been shown to strengthen the physical and emotional wellbeing of people with cancer and their families and friends. Last year Maggie’s received 200,000 visits and supported over 45,000 people newly affected by cancer; among visitors 99% found the support offered helpful.

As I made my way around the emotional exhibition, I couldn’t help but be touched by the portraits and words from some of the brave and courageous people living with cancer.

“I’m living more in the moment and enjoying life day by day” - Lizzie

“This life is not a dress rehearsal…live every moment to the full” – Samantha

“Cancer was like a full stop in my life. I knew then that I had to change how I lived and make myself the most important person in my life” – Garry

“I’ve learned to live one day at a time – and to make that day have value by spending it investing in the people I love most” – Rebekah

I recommend a visit to this very important and special exhibition, I spoke to people who attended and it was agreed that it is very thought-provoking and a highly emotional event that offers a much needed insight into the lives of people living with cancer, and the support Maggie’s Centres offer at a much needed time of their lives.

The exhibition runs at the Lowry until the 9th June

Reportage - Mary Fogg
on - 10/5/19

No comments:

Post a Comment